Weren’t able to make it to the auditions we had earlier this week? Good news! An additional audition is being held on September 29 at 7 PM at the Walters Cultural Arts Center over on Main St. at 5th.
For additional details (what to bring, dancing, audition music, etc.) check out the White Christmas audition page. See you there!
The first review for Fools! (onstage until 9/21/14) by Neil Simon has been posted by Westside Theatre Review. Be sure to check it out, then order your tickets, before they are all gone!
Director Stephen Kelsey brings this entertaining tale to life on an immaculate set, with a brilliant cast of actors. But don’t take our word for it…go read the review!
Calling All Playwrights – It’s YOUR Time Again!
For the past two years in October, Hillsboro Artists’ Regional Theatre (HART) has presented Page to Stage: A Playwright’s Showcase, taking a unique look at the creative process which takes a playwright’s work from the page up onto the stage, with readings from these new works. Everyone has a great day; lots of interaction between the playwrights, audience, and the actors. We’ve made it an annual event – and now is when we need to hear from you!
Thanks to a grant from the Hillsboro Arts & Culture Council (HACC), we were able to fully produce one of the shows from our Page to Stage event in July 2014. Although we don’t have a grant this year, we still want to bring one of the shows to life, so we’ve added it to our season! We are so excited to share this opportunity with you and eager to begin reading your submissions, so with no further ado, here are the details:
- Local playwrights should submit scenes from a new, unproduced work, no longer than 15 minutes. Musicals, Drama, Comedy; you write it and we’ll accept it for review! A committee will select 6-8 scenes to present as staged readings in an evening that encourages a dialog between playwright and audience members.
- Each playwright may submit up to 3 scenes for review. They need not be from the same show. NOTE: If you are submitting a musical, we will need a libretto, score, and (ideally) a recording of the songs for our performers to familiarize themselves with before the Showcase. Music will be rehearsed in advance.
- There is no limit on the size of the cast in your scenes.
- Submissions will be accepted beginning August 25th through midnight of Monday, September 15th. We will let you know whether your scene has been chosen by email before the end of that week.
- Send scenes electronically to HART.Page2Stage@… with the subject “Playwright’s Showcase 2014″. Include a short summary of the play, and your contact information (phone number, email, etc.).
- On Saturday, October 18th, from noon – 5:30 PM., you will have the opportunity to work with the actors (both male & female) who will be reading your script. Dinner is provided for participating actors and playwrights, and the Showcase begins at 7:30 PM. A detailed schedule will be provided to the playwrights whose works are chosen.
- If you have any additional questions, please send them to HART.Page2Stage@… with the subject “Playwright’s Showcase 2014″.
One of these new productions will be a part of HART’s 2014-2015 season! Our goal is to give local playwrights an opportunity to get input from a live audience on their new works in progress. It is the playwright’s choice to use the feedback in editing their works or not.
Hillsboro Artists Regional Theatre (HART) is Hillsboro’s only community theatre celebrating its nineteenth year. We have an ongoing commitment to local artists, producing new works by local playwrights, providing training for technicians and actors, and encouraging young directors.
Westside Theatre Reviews for Crazy Old Man is online now. Check it out, then get YOUR tickets for one of the upcoming shows!
A few more photos to whet your appetite…
Check it out! The first review, found on the OregonLive site, is in! I’ll post new ones as soon as I know about them. Enjoy reading the review, and check out some photos from the Crazy Old Man dress rehearsal, taken by Charles White Photography.
Have you seen it yet? A nice little article on OregonLive.com – check it out here! The article was even mentioned in the Daily Community Theatre News. For details on our playwright, check out the article in the Washington County Summer Arts Guide. And the first show hasn’t even happened yet!
Come be a part of the excitement – Crazy Old Man is opening Friday, July 11, 2014. An all original work by Darrell Baker, Tina Arth, & Carl Coughlan the production of which is being funded by the Hillsboro Arts & Culture Council, it can truly be said to be a local success story. We can’t wait to see it shine!
In the meantime, meet a couple of our cast members!
Where were you on Friday morning? If you’re like thousands of other Hillsboro residents, you were at the annual 4th of July parade! So were we – and just in case you missed us, here are a couple of photos to refresh your memory. Come out to see the grand premiere of Crazy Old Man this Friday evening, July 11th!
The kids from Crazy Old Man had a crazy good time!
The rehearsals are well underway for this original work; every step is into new ground, and we are all aware of what’s at stake. The dialogue scenes are staged, actors are strong on their lines, and now we begin adding the songs, the group numbers and crowd scenes. Soon the set will go up, the costumes will begin to appear, and before you know it, we’ll have a show!
The first review for Anything Goes came out in the Oregonian. Check it out! It was quickly followed by this Tweet from the Portland Review. As of June 4th, the latest review is from the Westside Theatre Reviews.
As more reviews come out, we’ll add the links to this post. So if you see a review we’ve missed, please let us know! See you at the theatre.
Fools by Neil Simon
directed by Stephen Kelsey
September 5-21, 2014
Page to Stage III: a Playwrights’ Showcase
directed by Sarah Ominski
October 18, 2014
Pieces of the HART: A Night of Original One-Acts
Written & directed by members of HART
October 24 – November 9, 2014
Irving Berlin’s White Christmas
directed by Matt Russell
November 28 – December 21, 2014
Spoon River Anthology
directed by Paul Roder & Tyson Redifer
February 13 – March 1, 2015
Hot L Baltimore by Lanford Wilson
directed by Patrick Brassell
March 20-April 5, 2015
Spamalot by Monty Python
directed by Tony Bump
May 29 – June 21, 2015
TBA – show selected from Page to Stage entries
July – August 2015
Tickets for individual shows are available online effective August 15!